The Pearl of Africa Children’s Choir comprises exceptionally talented children from all our schools. The primary purpose of this Choir is to nurture talent and fundraise to support the work of the Molly and Paul Childcare Foundation in Uganda in looking after and caring for orphaned and destitute/underprivileged children/youth and their families.
Music brings so much joy into a person’s life, and we realized that the Choir would be a means of brightening up the lives of these young ones without pondering about their background. It is also another way of communicating with those who enjoy music and others who need a special touch by listening to music.
The Choir also aims to:
- Promote, appreciate and develop the skills of young talented artists.
- To inculcate in them a sense of creativity, self-motivation, and evaluation and to maintain the skills acquired.
- To learn to appreciate and exchange their desirable and acceptable culture with other communities worldwide.
ADVENTURES OF THE TEAM
It started as a small school choir, and now it has grown to three groups of 60 members in total. The children are selected from our different schools here in Uganda, some from Rwanda, Tanzania and Congo. In addition, some of the members of staff and guardians have been able to travel abroad with the group.
The three different groups which make up this Choir are The Pearl of Africa Children’s Choir – UK, The Pearl of Africa Children’s Choir–USA and The Pearl of Africa Youth Band. Our tours started in 1999 with the UK, and we have toured Ireland and the USA.
The Pearl of Africa Children’s Choir is a UK Registered Charity. This registration has been possible with the help of our friends in the UK.
The Pearl of Africa Children's Choir
Projects & Achievements
PROJECTS THE CHOIR IS FUNDRAISING FOR
The purpose of our effort is to fundraise for the needed financial support to accomplish the following projects and programs:
- Education for the less privileged
- Development of Integrated mixed farming for the imparting of practical skills and providing food for the children
- Provision of better Health services and special care to people living with HIV/AIDS and their families
- Construction of a children’s music centre
Completion of a Resource Centre and a hall
- A coach/Bus for income generation
Scholarship fund for Higher Education
ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE
The Choir has helped the children express themselves while allowing them to work as a team and develop and nurture their acquired musical skills.
This dedicated group of young artists has raised funds in different places, which has helped in the following projects:
- To start building a resource centre and a kindergarten/nursery school section for orphans and needy children at Kamuzinda-Masaka.
- Stock some cows for the school Farm at Masaka
- Acquire a water pump for the Integrated Farm School at Masaka.
- Salaries and wages for Kamuzinda Schools, New Kabaale Busega and Bunjakko Island Vocational
Some stationary, Laboratory equipment, School uniforms for the Children’s village-Kamuzinda
- School toilets and a borehole for New Kabaale Busega
- It has helped twin with other UK schools to establish a marching brass band.
Molly & Paul Wasswa